Why I Love Being an Esthetician
The art of making people look and feel beautiful was in my genes – my mother was a hairdresser and ran her own beauty salon and very soon my older sister joined her in the beauty business. This helped me get a clear view of what I wanted to become. I searched and researched and found that I see myself as an Esthetician successfully running her own salon and building her brand gaining popularity as I progressed! I was thrilled with the opportunities and success that this career had to offer to me. So just a few months after graduating from High School I joined a beauty school, trained myself in all the techniques and tricks and launched my career after getting my diploma. It’s been a few years since then and I still love every bit of being an esthetician!
You may think that in this fast-pacing world how do I still stick to the same profession and love it too – here’s why:
- It’s emotionally a very rewarding profession. Making people look good also makes them feel good; which in turn, makes me feel good. It’s happiness for all!
- I’m never tired or bored. Every client has different concerns with their skin, so it’s definitely not “routine” stuff. I love treating all aspects from acne to rosacea, and brown spots to wrinkles. No two people are alike and same goes for skin, and the uniqueness of it makes it very exciting.
- With all of the advancements in skin care, there is much to be learned. I am passionate about learning and never miss industry magazines or books, trade shows, blogs, websites, tutorials, videos or webinars as these are all endless opportunities to learn! I have always believed that regardless of your profession, one must always strive to be on top of the game and stay abreast with all the latest advancements in the industry. Skin care industry is progressing at a rapid pace, so constant education is a must!
- Increasing awareness about esthetics brings recognition.
There was a time when no one knew what an “esthetician” was and would constantly confuse estheticians with anesthesiologist! Yes, you may find it hard to believe but esthetics exists from a time when no one knew what it was all about. But now with changing times and growing awareness, even medical professionals are embracing the seriousness of skincare and you may find many estheticians working at doctor’s clinics. Add to that the increasing demand for people wanting younger-looking skin has turned esthetics into a well-respected profession.
- Mending souls and not just skin.
This is one extremely rewarding aspect of my career- I volunteer at women’s shelters and provide my services to the victims of domestic violence. It’s beautiful when I change the meaning of “touch” for women who’ve known touch only to be abusive and violent. When my loving team and I give them facials or do their nails these women experience that touch can be loving, caring and full of concern too! Our services help them look better but most importantly it helps them feel better and confident. I love how our skill can help us change lives and mend not just skin but souls too!
- I love what I do, and it shows.
I feel I am extremely lucky to have made a career out of my passion (while I was lucky enough to find the right beauty school too!) Being an esthetician equips me to transform the world around me one face at a time. I love how I can give back and contribute to my community and transform lives.
After all, Google hasn’t listed being an Esthetician as one of the highest job satisfaction providing profession for nothing!